The local Governing Body operates under the governance of the FPTA Academies. The role of the Governing Body is akin to a usual governing body in leading the School and supporting and holding the Headteacher to account for school improvement to create an excellent education for all students.
The range of responsibilities for the curriculum are shared between the Headteacher,
the Governing Body and the Secretary of State for Education. Within this, the Governing Body has an extensive range of responsibilities that they share with the Headteacher and which include:
- Ensure the school fulfils its statutory obligations and provides a curriculum that is inclusive.
- Set pupil achievement targets.
- Inform all appropriate bodies of public examination results and national curriculum assessments Finance and Personnel.
- Establish procedures for the appointment and management of staff.
- Deal with all matters relating to staff conduct, staff discipline and staff grievances.
- Manage the school budget.
- Determine the number of staff required to enable the school to operate efficiently.
- Ensure that the school complies with Ofsted recommendations.
The Role of the Chairman/Vice Chairman
The Chairman holds a key position and it is important that the Governing Body appoints the right person for the post. The Chairman has the responsibility to:
- Ensure that the business of the Governing Body is conducted properly.
- Ensure that meetings are run effectively, focusing on priorities and making the best use of time available; ensuring that all members have equal opportunities to participate in discussion and decision-making.
- Establish and foster an effective relationship with the Headteacher based on trust and mutual respect for each other’s roles. The Chairman has an important role in ensuring that the Governing Body acts as a sounding board for the Headteacher and provides strategic direction.
- Act in cases which may be deemed urgent, where a delay would be seriously detrimental to the interests of the school, a registered pupil, their parent or person employed to work at the Academy Trust.
The current Governing Body Members are as follows:
- Mr Terry Brown (Chair and Trustee of FPTA Academies)
- Mr Stephen Dansie (Vice Chair
- Mrs Barbara Fincham (Community & Chair of Welfare Committee)
- Mr Andrew Minchin (Headteacher)
- Mrs Brenda Brocklehurst
- Mrs Hayley Colwell (Parent Governor)
- Mr John Crockett (Staff Governor)
- Miss Doreen East (Parent Governor)
- Mrs Patricia Emerick (Community)
- Ms Priscilla Haselhurst
- Mrs Sara Hitchen (Community)
- Mr Miguel Martins (Community)
- Mr Matthew Wells (Staff Governor)
- Miss Carol Wrate (Clerk)
If you would like to contact the Chair of Governors about anything please send a letter to:
Chair of Governors
C/O Miss C Wrate
The Robert Napier School